Monday, April 12, 2010

White Chili


I absolutely love anything that can be made in large quantities and frozen for a later date, at which I am so exhausted that I can't bear to look in my kitchen's direction. This chili is it! The recipe is from The Pioneer Woman and boy is it good! And it makes a ton...enough for a heaping bowl for the family at dinner time and then freeze the rest for later. I can't say my husband loves this approach as much as I do, because of course he'd much rather have fresh made food everyday, but he's not the one standing in the kitchen either.
A while back I found these plastic canning "jars" made by Ball. I think they are more for like freezer jams, but they hold 8 ounces each (a just right serving size) with a plastic lid that screws on and they work perfect for freezing soups and hot dishes. My freezer is full with them. I'm all about making it easy!

Speaking of making it easy...I made my chili with leftover turkey from Easter. I love cooking turkeys too...I can get about 4 meals out of them!

White Chili

  • 1 whole Fryer Chicken, Cut Up (or 3 Cups Cooked Chicken)
  • 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
  • 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 2 whole Cans Green Chilies, Chopped
  • 1 pound Dried Great Northern Beans, Rinsed
  • 8 cups Chicken Broth
  • 1 whole Jalapeno, Sliced
  • 1-½ Tablespoon Ground Cumin
  • ½ teaspoons Paprika
  • ½ teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
  • Salt To Taste
  • White Pepper, To Taste
  • 1 cup Whole Milk
  • 2 Tablespoons Masa (corn Flour) OR Cornmeal
  • Grated Monterey Jack, To Taste
  • Sour Cream For Garnish
  • Cilantro For Garnish
  • Guacamole (optional)
  • Pico De Gallo (optional)
  • Corn Tortillas (warmed)
Preparation Instructions

Cover chicken and cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until done. Remove meat from bones. Set aside.

In a dutch oven over medium-high heat, saute onions and garlic for 2 minutes. Add chopped green chilies, then rinsed beans. Pour chicken broth into the pan. Add sliced jalapenos. Season with salt, pepper, and cumin. Place lid on pot and reduce heat to low.

Cook for 2 hours or until beans are done. Halfway through the cooking process, add 3 cups of cooked chicken.

When beans are tender, mix milk with masa (or cornmeal) and pour into the chili. Cook for an additional ten minutes to thicken. Check seasoning and adjust, adding cayenne pepper and paprika if desired.

Add some Monterey Jack cheese to the pot and stir to melt.

Serve chili in a bowl. Garnish with cilantro, sour cream, extra cheese—even pico de gallo and guacamole, if you have some on hand. Roll up warm corn tortillas and serve on the side of the bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment