Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Pico De Gallo and Guacamole


The scent of spring, sprouting flowers and sunshine are filling the air! It is making me itchy to get gardening too! Last week Walnut and I got our seeds started in the house and guess what? They are already starting to sprout! So far I've got oregano, basil, tomato, pepper and pumpkin seed sprouting. I am so tickled I could scream! I wasn't so sure how starting my own plants in the house would go, but am extremely encouraged by the turnout so far...

I made some Pico de Gallo for Easter to set out for guests while dinner was in the final stages of baking and it made me long for my garden even more. Tomatoes bought in the store never ever live up to my hopes and leave recipes falling flat compared to tomatoes straight from your own backyard...but from September to June in Minnesota...you don't have many other options!

Pico de Gallo

4 large tomatoes
3 jalapenos, deseeded
1/2 large red onion
1 handful cilantro
Juice from 1/2 lime or lemon
Salt to taste

Chop tomatoes, jalapenos, and onion to a small dice and put in a bowl. If you like it hot...you can go ahead and leave the seeds in the jalapenos. Next chop up a handful of cilantro and toss in the bowl. Squeeze juice from lime or lemon over the top and sprinkle with desired amount of salt...fold together. I usually let it sit for a little before digging in to make sure all the flavors have harmonized together!

Have a hankering for some Guacamole? Mash three ripe avocados and fold in Pico de Galo and give another good squeeze of lime or lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment