Friday, April 9, 2010

Lemon Asparagus Pasta

Nothing says Spring and Summer like lemon and asparagus! I found some asparagus on sale at the grocery store the other day for $1.49 per pound. I love it when fruits and veggies come into season so they are affordable again. So, yesterday I searched the internet for a recipe using my bargain asparagus and came across Half Assed Kitchen's Lemon Asparagus Pasta. It was divine! The lemon in the sauce was perfect and the asparagus is always good! I used skim milk instead of heavy cream in my sauce though, so I left out the 1/4 cup of pasta water. I bet it could be served cold too and be pretty good. I don't have any leftovers though, so I won't be able to find out... Enjoy!


Asparagus Lemon Pasta
from Half Assed Kitchen


1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices
1 pound bow-tie pasta
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
3/4 cup heavy cream, half-and-half or plain Silk creamer
2 teaspoons freshly-grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup fresh, flat parsley leaves, chopped
Freshly ground pepper
Grated parmesan cheese


Steam asparagus until crisp-tender (about 5 minutes). Transfer to a colander and rinse with cold water. Drain well and set aside.
Meanwhile, bring water to boil in a sauce pan. Add pasta and cook until al dente.
In a deep skillet, heat butter and cream over moderately low heat until butter is melted. Stir in zest, lemon juice and salt.
Ladle 1/4 cup pasta water into sauce and drain pasta.
Immediately add pasta and asparagus to sauce in skillet. Cook and toss until warmed through. Add parsley, pepper and top with parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment