Thursday, April 1, 2010

Banana Muffins with Brown Sugar Topping...


Ugh! I went to the chiropractor this morning to help relieve some pain I've been feeling in my right hip from running. Every other morning for the last two weeks I've been getting up early so I can sneak off to his office before work. It's been a godsend each morning I've visited him...laying on the table with no kids yelling and pulling on me with nice warm blessed towels on my back loosening up all those tight, aggravated muscles from running each night, and then having every bone in my body cracked like I was a rag doll. You really need to see my chiropractor...I think he missed his calling as a NFL linebacker. When he tells you its time for a bear hug, he isn't kidding!
But this morning was slightly different. My knee had also begun bothering and asked him if he had any recommendations. He then proceeded to touch my outer leg between my knee and hip which send me shooting through the roof with pain. Apparently, I have a major "speed bump" in the long muscle that runs down the side of my outer leg and is causing my knee to pull to the side as I run.
And what does a rolling pin have to do with all of this? While laying on my side, the chiropractor grabbed a rolling pin and started rolling out my muscles as if it was pie dough trying to get the muscle to relax. I CANNOT explain in words the pain this rolling pin over the speed bump put me in. I've never felt anything like it! And he was barely even pushing on it! He then proceeded to tell me I needed to do it 2 to 4 times A DAY! And to have someone else do it because I won't push HARD ENOUGH! AHHHHHH!!!!!!
In times like these...I need chocolate! Lots of it pronto! Chocolate makes all kinds of things better. Being it was still only 7 am when I got back from my torture visit, I quickly mixed up a batch of these wonderful Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins with a crunchy brown sugar topping. Perfect for breakfast and to satisfy your sweet tooth at the same time. Enjoy!!

Banana Muffins with Brown Sugar Topping

1 ½ c flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
3 whole bananas, mashed
¾ c sugar
1 whole egg
1/3 cups melted butter
½ bag milk chocolate chips (optional)

Topping
1/3 c brown sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 tablespoon room temp butter

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat muffin pans with nonstick spray or use paper liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices; set aside.
2. Combine bananas, sugar, egg, and melted butter in a large bowl. Fold in the flour mixture and mix until smooth (DO NOT over mix or will be tough). Gently stir in chocolate chips. Scoop into muffin pans.
3. Prepare the topping. In a bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour and additional cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter and sprinkle over muffins.
4. Bake mini muffins for 10 to 15 minutes and large muffins for 25 to 30 minutes. When done, muffins will spring back when lightly tapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment