Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Citrus Honey Butter



My kids are testing me this week...that is for sure. The "boundary line" is being pulled, stretched, twisted and torn. While it makes my heart sing that Walnut is finally gaining some independence from mom and doing such things as getting dressed by himself, buckling his seat belt by himself, fully participating and listening in swim lessons and putting on his own shoes...he is trying to push it as far as he can it seems. Saturday morning it was just me and the kids at home and I had to jump in the shower, which I've scientifically narrowed down to a measly 7 minutes since becoming a mom, Walnut decided that him and Peanut wanted to play outside. So, being the big kid he is now, he got his coat and shoes on, his sister's coat on her along with Grandma's boots. Just as I was turning off the shower I heard the outside door slam! So, knowing full well what he must have been up to I went flying down the stairs and outside just wrapped in a towel screaming and ushering the children back into the house telling Walnut every scary story I could think of that could happen to him had he gone outside unaccompanied by an adult.
Oh, and this is just the start of the weekend. On Sunday he was riding his bike outside and Dad's car was parked in the driveway. Well, the car happened to be in his way so as I rounded the corner from the other side of the house I see Aden jumping into the driver's seat and closing the door as if he was going to move the car himself! Ah! What are my children thinking? I think they are trying to give me a heart attack is what I think.
And on Monday, after a long day of work, a 5 mile jog and running across half the state to shuttle Walnut to ECFE and then pick Peanut up from Grandma's afterward I was finally home at 8:45 pm ready to drop into bed, only to discover Peanut was also discovering a sort of independence of her own...as in using the living room as her canvas! She colored the sofa, end table, tv, tv stand, picture frames and my dumb bells. I have no clue what type of marker she used either. So when I inquired what exactly my husband was doing during her little artistic episode he informed me he was in the shower and was so busy he didn't have time to clean it up. And that she also colored herself from head to toe. Upon further examination...she was indeed colored from head to toe, but it appears Grandma had attempted to scrub off what she could.

So, on days like these, I need something sweet, savory and fulfilling to give me the will to start over the next day! Stir together these three ingredients together and jump in the shower and by the time your done all the flavors have infused and you again will have a purpose in life...to spread this delicious butter on everything from pancakes to biscuits to whatever you have in your kitchen!


Citrus Honey Butter


1 stick butter, room temp
1/3 cup honey
zest from 2 oranges

Stir all ingredients together in a bowl and let set for 30 minutes before enjoying!

Biscuits
Recipe by The Pioneer Woman

4 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 ½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1/3 c shortening
1/3 c cold butter, cut into pieces
1 ¼ c buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450.
In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and whisk together.
Add the shortening and cold butter pieces and cut together with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Pour in buttermilk and mix gently with a fork until just combined.
The biscuit dough will be sticky.
Lightly flour a clean surface and roll dough out to about ¾ to 1 inch thick.
Cut into any shape and bake 11 – 14 minutes until golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment