Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Attempt #1: Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies


I've been working hard to find delicious replacements for my daughter, who is allergic to dairy and eggs we've just found out. My current mission is to find a good cookie minus the butter and egg that still tastes good...and without using soy products. I bought some Earth's Balance Vegan Buttery Spread...but haven't been able to bring myself to use it...so I probably just wasted $5!
So this is cookie attempt #1...which is okay but not quite what I'm looking for. I attempted to replace the fat with mashed banana...but it seems to be giving the final cookie an altered after taste that is just not characteristic of a good chocolate chip cookie. So I'm going to try a few more adjustments and I'll keep you posted. The cookies were very good...the kids loved them...just not quite on the cookie-exchange level good.
Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 bananas, mashed
1 cup peanut butter
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons rice milk
2 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place bananas in a large bowl and mash into a soupy consistency. Add peanut butter, vanilla, and rice milk and stir until thoroughly combined. Add oatmeal, flour, sugars, baking soda and chocolate and stir again until combined.
Using a 1 tablespoon cookies scoop, place a scoop of cookie dough in palm of hand and roll into balls. Then roll in sugar and place on a non-stick baking sheet. Smash down slightly with a cup or make Criss-crosses with a fork.
Bake for 11-13 minutes until cookie is slightly brown on edges.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment