Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad


Two weeks before my best friends 25th birthday, she found a lump in her breast. She went to the doctor and they said it was just a cyst, and not to worry but keep up with her self exams. One week before her 25th birthday, she found another lump...and immediately called the doctor. She was diagnosed with Stage 3 Grade C breast cancer two days before turning 25. My best friend since we were 10 years old. The girl I shared secrets with, crushes with, stories about boyfriends. I shared my first under age alcoholic drink with her, my first under age cigarette. We worked together...we dated best friends together...we went to school together...we played basketball together...

And suddenly she was in a battle for her life. She is the strongest woman I think I've ever met. While raising a 3 and 1 year old, she underwent a double mastectomy and endured 8 horrifying rounds of chemo. She shaved her head and wore it proudly.

Every since then, we run the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure in Brainerd, MN to raise money to help find a cure. A cure in our life time...or my daughters life time...to this devastating disease that affects so many women (and men).

So, as a reminder...it is the 1st of the month and please don't forget to do your self breast exam.

Last Saturday we ran the 5k. I did my best time yet at 27 minutes 12 seconds. My best friend did it in 29 minutes and 8 seconds...and she has only been running for 4 months. That is one strong lady!

I made this salad and brought it up to the cabin with me for lunch after the big race. I hope you enjoy!

Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad

12 ounces small pasta (I use bowties)
1 1/2 cup mayo or miracle whip
2 tablespoon Ranch Dressing Powder (such as Hidden Valley)
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
10 strips bacon

Boil noodles until al dente (cook 1-2 minutes short of package directions). Rinse noodles in cold water when done.

Cut bacon into 1/2" pieces and fry until brown and crisp. Remove from grease and place on a paper towel to drain grease.

In a large bowl, add mayo and ranch powder and stir to combine. Then add cold noodles, carrots, onion, peas, cheddar cheese and bacon and stir to combine. Refrigerate one hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment