Thursday, July 15, 2010

Vegan Blueberry Banana Pancakes


I just found out my Peanut is allergic to eggs AND dairy! I suspected eggs for a while because if she ate an over easy fried egg and got any on her skin she always got a red rash right where the egg was. But the dairy blew me out of the water! So, we've been going through a bit of an adjustment here. Rice milk and almond milk have taken over the refrigerator...cheesy corn puffs have been replaced with regular corn puffs. Ingredient labels have been scoured for even the smallest bit of egg or dairy.

Lucky for me there is a plethora of vegan recipes out there! A huge challenge I've come across though...is that I am not willing to serve my children soy products and the majority of "replacement" products are made of soy. I'm okay with it as an extremely minor ingredient...but butter made out of smashed soy beans is just not going to fly. So, we are experimenting with mashed bananas and peanut butter for baking with instead. I'll keep you posted on my progress to finding good recipes for those with allergies to dairy and eggs and please, if you have some tasty recipes please feel free to share in the comment section or post a link to your food blog!

Vegan Blueberry Banana Pancakes
makes 10-12 4" pancakes

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup rice milk
1 teaspoon Ener-G egg replacer
1 tablespoon hot water
1 tablespoon oil
1 small banana, mashed
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1-2 cups blueberries...depending on how many you like in your pancakes
raw sugar

In a large bowl, add all ingredients except blueberries and raw sugar. Whisk together until combined. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add about 2-3 tablespoon canola oil. When a drop of water added to the pan sizzles, the oil is ready for pancakes!

Drop about 1/4 cup batter onto pan and sprinkle tops with desired amounts of blueberries and then about a teaspoon of raw sugar to add a nice crunch to your pancakes. When bubbles appear on tops of cakes, flip with a spatula and continue to cook until pancake feels firm.

Enjoy!! Please note these pancakes take a bit longer to cook I think because of the mashed banana, so make sure the check pancakes before you pull them off the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment