Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day! (And Chocolate Cupcakes)



Happy Father's Day to all those wonderful men out there! I'd like to specifically gush about two daddies in particular this morning. They happen to be my generous, loving, nurturing husband and my own father.




Zafar...Thank you for being the patient one with the children. For taking the time to teach them, for opening their eyes to different cultures then the one they live in. For being passionate about them. For wiping their butts and cleaning their noses...I love you.



Dad, thank you for raising me they way you did. For giving me all the skills I need (such as changing a tire and my own oil). For raising me to be a strong independent woman. Thank you for being involved in my life as a child and as an adult. Thank you for loving my children and spending time with them. For everything dollar you've ever loaned me and every shoulder you let me lean on. You are the best.




Chocolate Cupcakes

(Slightly adapted from My Baking Addiction)




3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons instant coffee granuals
1/2 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners.

Into a medium bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each, then beat in vanilla and coffee granuals. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with sour cream and beginning and ending with flour. Gently fold in chocolate chips.

With an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.

Cool in pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

8 ounces of cream cheese at room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
4 tablespoons shortening
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
3 ounces unsweetened chocolated, melted and slightly cooled.
4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream the butter, cream cheese and shortening until well blended.

Add in the vanilla and salt and mix on low speed until well combined.

Gradually pour in the chocolate until thoroughly combined.

Add in the confertioners’ sugar one cup at a time until completely incorporated.

No comments:

Post a Comment