Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Steak with Melon Relish


I've never really been sure about relishes that combine fruit and vegetables, so when this recipe hit my inbox today from Self I have to say, my interest was piqued. I happened to have a huge ripe cantaloupe on my counter I brought at Trader Joe's over the weekend. So I figured why the heck not? With this new attempt at cutting down on carbohydrates I'm feverishly trying to find new recipes.



And it wasn't too bad! I would probably pair it with chicken or pork next time I make it, though. But the balsamic vinegar went great when paired with the cantaloupe. My little peanut sure enjoyed the cantaloupe as a snack (ok, it was her dinner...and that's all she ate. But I'm okay with that.)


Steak with Melon Relish
from Self Fitness Magazine
1 large cantaloupe, peeled, seeded and diced
1 medium red onion, diced
1 cup Italian parsley, chopped
1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
2 tablespoons white balsamic (or cider) vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 pounds of your favorite steaks
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Toss cantaloupe, onion, parsley, mint, vinegar and oil in a bowl. Set aside. Heat a grill, grill pan or large skillet over high heat. Season steaks on both sides with salt and pepper. Cook 5 to 8 minutes on each side for medium rare, 8 to 10 minutes per side for medium and 10 to 12 minutes per side for well done. Remove from heat and allow to rest on a clean cutting board for 5 to 7 minutes. Cut steak diagonally into 1/8-inch-thick slices and transfer to a platter. Spoon half the relish on top. Serve remaining relish on the side.

1 comment:

  1. Teri, this looks delicious. Your model say it all. What a cutie :-). I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete