Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spiced Sweet Rice



Night time at my house is not pretty...I've was never one of those mom's who could just set their baby down and let them cry themselves to sleep. Even though everyone warned me, I didn't listen.
Since the day I brought my babies home, I had rocked them until they fall fast asleep and then ever so quietly tuck them into their little beds and then crawl into mine...the problem with this is that they don't stay asleep! Oh no siree! And when they wake...they want mom to hold them again. My little peanut is usually the first to wake up, normally because she fell out of bed or rolled into the wall so I crawl into her bed and snuggle up and fall fast asleep before she does probably. Then in about 20 minutes Mr. Man comes and finds me and pulls me back into our bed. No more then 45 minutes later, my big Walnut wakes up and drags me into the bathroom with him so he can go pee. In the process of crawling into bed with him to get him back to sleep we usually wake Peanut back up and the process repeats all night until finally at 5:00 a.m. I can just wake up and get ready for the day.
So after a long night of playing musical beds, I need something significant and good I can fill my tummy with to help get me through the day. The answer to that search is Spiced Sweet Rice...and the cooking times fit into my schedule perfectly! I'm in the shower while the rice is boiling in water and drying and curling my hair while it absorbs the milk. The scent of this delicious dish fills your house so quick it will definitely pull everyone out of bed to find out whats for breakfast!

Spiced Sweet Rice

1/2 cup Regular Rice
1 cup Water
1 cup Milk
1/3 cup Sugar
1 Tbls Butter
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg

Add Rice and Water into sauce pan and bring to boil. When it starts to boil, turn heat down and simmer about 15 minutes or until rice has absorbed all the water. Stir in 1 cup milk, cover, and return to simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until rice has absorbed all the milk. You are looking for a similar consistency to oatmeal. If you are using brown rice, you may need to extend cooking time. It is very important you use real rice, not minute rice or it will not be able to absorb all the liquid.

Once all liquid is absorbed, remove from heat and stir in sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Serve warm and ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment