Thursday, June 14, 2012

Simple Pineapple Cupcakes


These cupcakes have only 5 ingredients for the cupcakes and frosting AND have only 135 calories per cupcake! I do try to make baked goods from scratch, but sometimes I need a simple quick recipe for last minute birthday celebrations! (Not that I would EVER forget someones birthday...) I've seen a lot of the recipes for low calorie cake using a can of soda, but have never tried it since I don't drink soda. So when I saw this recipe using a can of fruit (!) I thought I'd give 'er a whirl. I was really surprised how light and fluffy the cupcakes turned out and the frosting was super tasty!

Easy Pineapple Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 18-20 minutes

For the cake:

15.25 ounce package of yellow cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Super Moist)
20 ounce can crushed pineapple in juice (do not drain)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Add cake mix and pineapple to a large bowl and beat with a mixer on high for 2 minutes. Put liners in standard size muffin tins. Fill each cup 2/3 full with cake batter.

Bake cupcakes for 15-20 minutes, until tops are slightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of a cupcake.

For the frosting:
8 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese
20 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained well!
3/4 cup marshmellow fluff
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Drain pineapple well! I used a mesh strainer and pushed pineapple down with my hand until no other liquid came out. You could also use cheese cloth...but I was out.

Add all ingredients in a large bowl and beat with a mixer until combined and smooth, about 1 - 2 minutes.

Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes...about 1 1/2 tablespoons of frosting per cupcake. Garnish cupcakes with whatever you'd like! I thought the strawberries were cute and added to the nice tropical theme.

*I'm starting to wonder if this recipe will work with smashed strawberries also. I'll report back if I end up making them!

No comments:

Post a Comment